- This event has passed.
Night UAV Flight Workshop (Post Commercial UAV Expo)
October 4, 2018 @ 3:00 pm - 9:30 pm PDT| $295 – $520
About the Workshop
Sundance Media Group (SMG) will offer practical Night UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, otherwise known as drone) flight training course to equip UAV pilots with the knowledge, skills and confidence to pilot your UAV at night safely, efficiently and effectively.
Greater than 70 percent of our flying information comes through the eye and the eye is easily fooled at night. This is compounded by the inexperienced pilot alternating views between a tabled/lighted display and the position of the UAV in the sky. Night flying has a higher accident rate than identical day flying, both in UAV and manned aviation. Why? Depth perception is severely distorted, as is reaction time. There are also visual illusions that need to be recognized and mitigated. This session will provide information that will allow pilots to sidestep these challenges, while properly assessing and managing the risks associated with night flight (as waived per Part 107.29). You’ll also learn the foundation of applying for a COW/COA for night flight from an experienced night-flight pilot
Theoretical Training (2 hours) (Henderson Executive Airport)
The workshop will begin with a comprehensive theory session classroom style, then we head out to the night flight location for some practical experience. Topics to be covered during the classroom portion:
- FAA rules of night UAV flight (What is a 107.29 waiver?)
- Different types of visual illusions that commonly occur at night
- Autokinesis and night landing Illusions and how to avoid them
- Equipment setup
- Risk Mitigation
- Importance of acclimating your eye for night flight & avoid light contamination
- Foundation of applying for a COW/COA for night flight from an experienced night-flight pilot
This workshop is designed to provide all the necessary information needed to empower pilots to sidestep these challenges, while properly assessing and managing the risks associated with night flight (as waived per Part 107.29). *This workshop includes a certificate of night flight training, which can be used to expedite your FAA waiver.
After a comprehensive theory session, we will travel to the nearby night flight location for some practical experience. We’ll present different types of visual illusions that commonly occur at night. In this practical hands-on class, we will discuss visual illusions as well as best practices for night flying. We will cover Autokinesis and Night Landing Illusions and how to avoid them. We will also discuss acclimating your eye for night flight. We will also cover the use of lights to illuminate our subjects and how to avoid “light contamination” in our eyes.
- Practical Flight Training (2 hours) (In the field!)
- Overview of pre-planning checklist
- Outline for the day
- Wind Speed/weather check
- Location overview: On-site walkthrough of potential obstacles/issues
- Safety & Emergency procedures (requirement of aircraft lighting)
- Equipment check, site setup, and basic flight controls
- Overview of Night Flight UAV flight requirements
- Airspace & notification requirements
- Communication with ground crew and Visual Observer
- UAV Night Flight with craft of choice
- Overview of pre-planning checklist
Registration with this workshop includes:
- A Night UAV Flight Handbook
- Boxed Dinner before heading out to the field for practical training
- A red flashlight
- Post-Class, a certificate of completion*
*The certificate of night flight training, which can be used to expedite your FAA waiver.
Please note: UAVs outfitted with required FAA lighting systems will be provided for the attendees to fly for this workshop. Please do not bring your personal UAV as we will not be able to fly it during this workshop.
Participants should have some drone flight experience prior to taking this workshop. A 107 certification is recommended.
- Theoretical Class (including test & marking): 3:00 – 5:45pm
- Dinner 5:00pm
- FIELD 6:00 pm
- SUNSET 6:20 PM
- FLYING 7:00pm – 9:30pm
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Attendees are responsible for their own transportation to the event (both classroom and field). We can assist with carpooling if necessary.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please do: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s the refund policy?
Full refunds for any cancellation with 24 hours notice. For same day cancellations, SMG will retain a 25% non-refundable deposit.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, just ID.
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
Tickets are non-transferrable. Please cancel and re-register.
MANY THANKS to our supporting vendors: